2013 is definitely the year of romance. Last weekend, Stacey and I went to the wedding of one of my work colleagues, later this year we have another wedding and I have been overjoyed by a couple of very happy and very exciting proposals from friends and family this year. The romance has really got to me, and so I’ve been reading all of the lesbian wedding blogs and ohh and aww-ing over dresses and love stories and most of all, the engagement stories. I’ve been so enamoured by all of the love stories I’ve been reading that I decided to compile a list of some of my favourite lesbian proposal stories!
1. If you’ve seen the Bruno Mars Lip-Dub Choreographed Car Dance video, (which is absolutely amazing, by the way!) then you’ll recognise the dance moves and cheesy-yet-endearing gratitude video of Arian being proposed to via a community lipdub. Definitely watch with tissues because this is seriously adorable.
2. This adorable Canadian couple got engaged at half time at an ice hockey game when Christina (an Ottawa Senators fan) proposed to Alica (a Toronto Maple Leafs fan) on the ice. It’s nice to see that even when you support rival sports teams, love can still conquer all!
3. My favourite musical lesbian proposal, this video shows Nicole surprised when the engagement song she’d spent weeks preparing for with her a cappella group turned out to be organised for her! This made me tear up, especially when she realises that she’s surrounded by her friends and family!
4. This stop-motion proposal video is not only hilarious (I totally wish I could get ready for the day with just a click of my fingers!) but also sweet and touching and shows that a proposal doesn’t need to be huge and showy to make a big impression. It also has a fantastic soundtrack and cats!
5. This video (romantically titled ‘Forever and a Day) tells the story of Christina and Steph, who got engaged at a stunning beach at sunrise – a seriously beautiful setting and some seriously beautiful photos.
6. The final video entry is actually two videos, showing the proposal story of Julie and Tiffany, who got engaged at Julie’s place of work - an Apple store. Firstly, watch the top video to see the video that Julie created for Tiffany – and then watch the second video for the actual proposal – complete with a never-ending round of applause!
7. As a food lover, I cannot help but be absolutely jealous of the proposal story of Laura & Laura who got engaged at Heston Blumenthal’s restaurant The Fat Duck in the little village of Bray. It’s an ADORABLE story (read the whole tale over at their blog Becoming Mums) and even better, they’re now CP-ed and have super-cute twins, Claudia and Imogen.
8. Another much-admired blogging couple, Steph and Corrine each proposed to each other in their own way – with Corrine proposing with a song at the penguin exhibit at the Maritime Aquarium in Norwalk, and Steph proposing through the whispering wall at New York’s Grand Central Station. These girls also got married last year and their wedding posts made me feel like I actually attended their big day!
9. One of the most romantic proposal stories I’ve read, the story of Lauren and Sarah’s proposal includes Brighton, rose petals, a massive bubble-bath and a supermoon! You can read their story in their own words over at their blog.
10. Finally, I was SO pleased to read the proposal stories of Laura and Sarah of Sprezzatura when they announced they’d got engaged over the Christmas holidays last year! Not only did they each propose to each other, their proposal stories are filled with so much love and are just so touching that even rereading them makes me tear up. You can read about Sarah proposing to Laura here, and Laura’s winter wonderland proposal here.
11. A bonus lesbian proposal story: you might have seen the pictures of this proposal floating about the internet… They show the engagement of a lesbian couple who took a rowing boat out on the lake in Central Park, New York – where friends and family held out rainbow coloured umbrellas with the big question spelt out! See the whole photo-set from photographer Justin Rudy here.
These are just some of my favourite lesbian proposal ideas, stories and videos that I’ve found on my jaunts across the web – are there any amazing lesbian proposal stories I’ve missed?!Carley